Thursday, April 19, 2007

Lippitt Good

I'm making good progress on my Lippitt halter. Last night I finished the back, and I decided to bind off the top in the rib pattern, following the instructions found here, which was basically to knit the first two stitches, then knit the apparent stitches and bind off as usual. I'm not even sure why I had to look it up, but I wanted to be sure.



I think that binding off in the ribbing pattern gave it a really nice, clean look, and I'm really pleased with the finish.



I actually made the back 13" long instead of the 12" that the pattern called for. When I finished the sections of increases I was already at 12.5" (perhaps my measurements of an inch between them were a bit overly generous), so I figured I'd give myself an extra half inch to absorb the final increases. My boyfriend measured my back for me, and at 13", the back will come to just the place I want that will allow me to wear my favorite strapless bra without incident.



When I finished knitting this piece, my boyfriend helped again by spacing it out over my back and waist, and it looks like it will fit very nicely. I was so enthused that I cast on for the front and am on my way to the second decrease already.

On an unrelated trip around the internet looking at buttons, it occurred to me that I haven't yet picked out the ring for the front of this yet. I checked out a few trims and accessories sites. At this point, the front runner is probably this Flat Metal Ring from M&J Trim:



The 50mm (2-inch) one is 1/4" larger than the pattern calls for, which is perfect because I had wanted a little more of the ring to show. At $3.98, it's pretty hard to beat, though I may continue looking to see if I can find something dark and wooden like I'd originally envisioned. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

3 Comments:

At April 19, 2007 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Adrienne said...

This is going to look wonderful! Cant' wait to see it finished!

 
At April 19, 2007 at 9:13 PM , Blogger Vicki said...

Thanks Adrienne - I'm pretty excited to see how it looks too!

 
At April 20, 2007 at 4:54 PM , Blogger Tanya said...

Your blog is so beautiful. I love all the photos and drawings. I can't wait to see the cable down raglan in the colour you picked.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home