Sunday, April 15, 2007

When Knitting and Nerdistry Collide

I have several obsessive-compulsive tendencies which seem especially prone to arise when there is some other task I should be attending to (i.e. schoolwork).

In this case, the fruits of my insomniac labor come as a spreadsheet to organize knitting projects present and future.



I had started out with a Word document listing some (but not all) of the important details about projects. From there I expanded my system to include the following categories:
  • Link to Pattern (if online)
  • Source of Pattern
  • Pattern Name
  • Garment Type
  • Yarn Weight
  • Yardage
  • Size
  • Yarn Used
  • Needles
  • Notions
  • Date Started
  • Date Finished
  • Notes

The beauty of Excel is that I can then sort by any of those categories at several sub-levels. For example, if I have a few hundred yards of worsted weight yarn, I can sort by yarn weight, then yardage, then garment type and see what my options are for using it.



I can also do other things like sort for a project that doesn't require any notions, or I can find the pattern for some cardigan by Berroco whose name I don't remember.

Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I have to say, it's truly a beautiful thing.

2 Comments:

At April 17, 2007 at 7:51 PM , Blogger ~Susie~ said...

I really like this idea od using Excel for keeping knitting ideas all in one place,good thinking! also I am wondering wha yarn you are using for your cable-down raglan,I'm thinking of making it myself

 
At April 17, 2007 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Vicki said...

Thanks, Susie. I'm actually using Caron acrylic, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how nice it feels.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home