Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Presto Change-o

While not technically the last minute, I did wait till rather uncomfortably close to the beginning of NaKniSweMo to start preparing. I decided I would knit the Tilted Duster from the fall 2007 Interweave Knits, and I planned to do it in a dark sage Simply Soft which I adored.



I got home from class at 5:30 this afternoon and because I got a fantastic package from Knit Picks (more on that below), I was anxious to catch the last little bit of sunlight to photograph my bounty. While doing so, I came across the backs of several sweaters, one knit in the very yarn I'd intended for my Tilted Duster. On size 8 needles, it had a beautiful drape and made a delectable fabric. Then I consulted my magazine... the Tilted Duster pattern calls for size 10 needles. Hmm.

I swatched a few rows with my intended yarn and knew right away that there was no way it would make a nice garment at that gauge. The color was perfect, I loved petting it, but it would be a huge waste of time and effort. Everything felt wrong.



I hemmed and hawed a little, while fondling a delicious chocolate brown which I had started to use for my Bristow cardigan last year. I remember thinking that while I loved the yarn, it felt much too bulky for size 4 and 6 needles, and I was dreading working on the Bristow.



I found a third sweater back (have I mentioned I like to start a lot of sweaters?) which was knit in the Bristow yarn, but on size 10 needles. It was perfect. The drape was flowing, yet had structure. The fabric was substantial without being bulky. The yarn seemed happy and aptly suited to the gauge. It suddenly felt right.

I checked both patterns to make sure I could do a yardage swap-a-roo, and the quantities I have of each yarn are even more aptly suited to their respective projects now. The more I think about it, the more I prefer each garment in its new color as well.

It's as if it was meant to be.

Now, since tomorrow is my birthday, I've let myself get away with quite a few acts of yarn gluttony lately. In the recent Knit Picks sale, I went more than a bit nuts. I had purchased a Shine Sport color card a few weeks back, so I was confident that I would be getting what I expected (and boy am I glad I did that). I'm going to keep my intended projects to myself for a little bit, but all these yarns are spoken for, with eager anticipation.

And oh, it is such loveliness to behold. (Click photos to enlarge)



Shine Sport in Crocus. This color just plain makes me happy. I absolutely love it.



Shine Worsted in Grass. Another fabulously saturated color which literally makes my mouth water.



Shine Worsted in Sea Spray. This reminds me a lot of the silver sage I have, but slightly cooler. It's a really subtle, gorgeous color.

I also could not resist their new self-striping sock yarns, which I've been not so subtly lusting after since first laying eyes on them. I was prepared to adore them, but I was pleasantly surprised by just how rich and saturated the color was. Their real-life tones make the monitor versions look dull and anemic by comparison - they are intensely beautiful!



Felici in Arugula.



Felici in Aurora.

Let's just say this knitter is molto, molto felici!

I am really excited to cast on for my Tilted Duster at midnight tonight. My boyfriend is out of town, and I am secretly happy that I can be by myself starting a long-awaited project - it seems like just the right sort of self-indulgent treat for the beginning of one's birthday!


1 Comments:

At October 31, 2007 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Adrienne said...

Pretty yarns!!!!!!!! You are going to be a busy knitter!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home