Saturday, November 24, 2007

Kind of a hat...

Have you seen Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka the Yarn Harlot)'s An Unoriginal Hat pattern? It's so cute and looked like a fun, instant gratification knit.



I ordered a skein of Bernat Softee Chunky in the color Nature's Way, and I've been trying to think of why I love the color of this yarn so much. I don't think its resemblance to some of my favorite pajamas is coincidental.



The pattern is fabulous and it was great fun to knit. Interesting cabling, but enough stretches of easy knit and purl that it was relaxing while watching TV with my mother. I started the hat late Wednesday evening on size 10.5 DPNs (adding 4 rows of 2x2 ribbing at the bottom), and it was finished on Thanksgiving afternoon. Fast, easy, and a blast.



Trouble is, it just doesn't fit my head. Whoops.



I don't think I have an exceptionally large head, but I used slightly smaller than the called-for needles, I didn't check gauge, and I ignored my misgivings when trying it on.



Unless I find a child who might like this hat, I think I'm going to frog it and use the yarn to make a zig-zag pattern similar to a hat worn by Jennifer Love Hewitt on Ghost Whisperer this evening (episode 309 "All Ghosts Lead to Grandview" - if anyone has a photo I'd really appreciate it).

I think that will take advantage of the stripes that form in this yarn and look quite cute. But you can bet I'm checking gauge this time!


2 Comments:

At November 24, 2007 at 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops! I could tell from the first picture that you were going to have trouble, that yarn is too skinny!

What I would do though, is frog it back, add a repeat of the pattern (5 instead of 4) a few rows at the beginning (repeat the set up row a few times) and that should fit!

That gauge man....it'll get you every time.

 
At November 25, 2007 at 10:57 PM , Blogger Vicki said...

Wow, thank you so much for your suggestions!

I have a skein of the same yarn in a solid color, and I am definitely going to use your modifications to try the pattern again with that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home