Thursday, November 8, 2007

Unfaithful

I just can't stay faithful to a single project, even when I only have a month to complete it.



I've been cheating on my sweater with socks. Not only did I finish one of my toe-up socks, but I cast on for the second and have made quite a bit of progress up the foot. They are like a compulsion, I can't keep myself from them.

You know what else I can't stop doing? Buying yarn.



Lots and lots of delicious yarn.

Knit Picks has some kind of spell over me, and this time I went overboard with the thin stuff, all in fingering and lace weights.




Knit Picks Shadow 100% merino lace weight 2ply, in Sunset Heather

This is such a warm and inviting red with flickers of purple, orange, and yellow. I just love Shadow, and I look forward to slipping it through my fingers.


Knit Picks Gloss 70% merino wool / 30% silk fingering weight, in Serengeti

I had picked out some Palette in Twig for my boyfriend's Henry scarf, but it just seemed too pinkish of a tan. When I held it against his olive green coat, it almost seemed a salmon color, and I had major misgivings. I'm thrilled with this yarn's color - it's exactly the shade of tan I wanted - and I think that the Gloss will be much nicer against his skin than Palette.




Knit Picks Gloss 70% merino wool / 30% silk fingering weight, in Woodland Sage


Knit Picks Gloss 70% merino wool / 30% silk fingering weight, in Dusk




Knit Picks Shadow 100% merino lace weight 2ply, in Vineyard Heather

I was surprised at the deep saturation of this purple when compared with their website photos. Knit Picks is notoriously inaccurate, and I realize that purple is very difficult to photograph, but it was a delight to see such a rich and complex shade when I was expecting something grayed out. This makes me think that the other colors they have on sale would definitely be worth checking out, as they'll probably be similarly delectable.




Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud 100% baby alpaca lace weight, in Iris Heather

This is the sleeper hit of this purchase, if not my entire yarn-buying career. I bought it on impulse, despite a suspected alpaca allergy. And I am so glad I did!

My goodness, what a beautiful yarn. It is softer and dreamier than I ever imagined yarn could be - luscious, silky, and just plain decadent. Its richness and depth of color is phenomenal, and I just can't stop touching it.

I am so happy with all of these purchases, and I feel I must seek out more lace shawl patterns so I can buy up every colorway of Alpaca Cloud and Shadow they make. These yarns are so pleasant to touch and look at, and I can only imagine what a treat they will be in knitting.

Now that I have sufficient incentive to finish, I must stop neglecting my Tilted Duster if I'm going to get to play with all my new yarns!


2 Comments:

At November 8, 2007 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Adrienne said...

Lovely new yarns!! Just beautiful!!! Love your sock too!

 
At November 8, 2007 at 6:04 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Gah, I just love all your yarn purchases. They are all so beautiful, I just can't pick a favorite!

I cannot knit only one project either. I don't know what it is, as soon as one thing is off the needles I have to cast on something else... especially if I have a deadline looming for another project. I consider it a back-up plan...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home