Saturday, April 5, 2008

More Socks on the Needles

I must thank you all for your lovely and kind comments about my Bella Paquita, horrid photo and all. I'm going to take clearer, nicer photos as soon as I can.

I realize I am becoming more than a little obsessed with socks lately. At present, I have four pairs on the needles.

The first I meant to post a photo of back when I started them. I was kind of stunned that I couldn't find any mention of them (haven't I shown these before??), as I cast on the same day I cast off my toe-up Magic Stripes socks, using the same pattern and the Regia Design Line Kaaffe Fassett yarn in Landscape Carribean.



I'm more than a little in love with the way they're coming out. They have been my between-projects project, as well as my current portable project.

I've shown the second pair, my Seduction Socks. I decided to go with short row heels, and I'm falling more and more in love the longer I knit with the luxurious wool/silk Gloss yarn.

The next two socks are also products of the Sock Knitters Anonymous Sockdown challenges on Ravelry. It is so fun to participate in these, and I find the group really supportive and entertaining.

The March themes were a design by Ann Budd (my Seduction Socks) and/or entrelac. I've never done entrelac before, but I was hoping to get a chance this month.

I cast on Entrelac Socks by Eunny Jang in the spring 2007 Interweave Knits around 11:30pm on the last night of March, which just lets them count for the challenge but does not give me much time to knit complex knee-high socks.



I am double-dipping with these, as they will be my second project for a Knitting 19th Century Novels group, also on Ravelry. This group is a new incarnation of the recently and mysteriously deleted Knit the Classics blog, and it's a lot of fun so far. We're currently reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, so I thought the blue and white colors and checkerboard aspect was fitting.

I was also inspired by the crazy bodysuits and checkers in the Wonderland-themed Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers video for "Don't Come Around Here No More."



Entrelac is incredibly addictive and lots of fun. The yarn I'm using is Elann Esprit, an elasticated cotton. It was really tough to work with for the SSKs in the set-up triangles, but it loosened up and became quite agreeable once I moved into squares. I'm hoping that the stretchiness of the yarn will help these socks stay up around my calves.

The fourth and final pair of socks currently on my needles is just a toe, but it will become toe-up Spring Twists (Ravelry link) by Jeanie Townsend. She is the featured designer for the April sockdown, and I'm pretty excited about this pattern.



The yarn is Dream in Color Smooshy in the color Petal Shower, and it is absolute heaven to work with. I seriously love this yarn in practically indescribable ways, and I'm very much looking forward to focusing all my attention on these socks.

I would be quite busy if I were only knitting socks, but as it happens I'm also working on a handful of other projects at the same time, which we'll talk about soon.

It feels really good to be knitting so much and making so much progress. These knit-alongs are definitely helping me stay focused and push myself toward a challenge, so I'm happy to keep them up.

Now back to sock-knitting!


6 Comments:

At April 5, 2008 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Adrienne said...

Your socks always amaze me!!! They look fantastic!

 
At April 6, 2008 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

Can I just start sending you money to buy yarn for me? You have such a great eye for color. I even love the Kaffe Fassett yarn (although I may have badmouthed self-striping yarn in the past).

My advice for the entralac socks is to learn to knit backwards. It is so easy and will save you much time. Added bonus: it makes one feel so smart!

 
At April 7, 2008 at 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love that first pair. I have a question, though. I'm pretty sure Michael would think I'm crazy if I started knitting socks that were more beautiful than say, the rest of my entire wardrobe. How would one get overcome that scenario? How did you? (I haven't seen your entire wardrobe, but those socks are truly gorgeous!!!) Does anyone who just doesn't get it think you are crazy? What do you tell them?

 
At April 14, 2008 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Vicki said...

Thank you guys, you're always so nice :-).

Amanda, I think you've just come up with a brilliant career for me: personal yarn shopper. I am definitely going to look into knitting backwards! Do you have a link?

Jamie, I have been thinking about this comment for a little bit (and umm, sorry it's taken me so long to respond). While I do have a pretty colorful wardrobe, the way I look at it is that knitting gives me the opportunity to create anything I want, in any color I can imagine. If I'm spending the time to hand knit a pair of socks, I want them to be a pair that I really, truly, ecstatically love. I believe very strongly in the sensory delights of existence, and I like to indulge in tactile, visual sensations that I enjoy. It's the same reason that when I'm cooking for myself, I arrange the food in an appealing way on the plate, or I keep my closet and underwear drawer sorted by color. Knitting is one of those nice things I do for myself, and I would never begrudge myself the making of something I love if it's brought me joy while doing it.

I do think maybe I have an easy time with that kind of thinking because I am a painter and I approach everything I do from an artist's perspective... but it's your time and your choice what beauty and joy you may create in it. I would no sooner defend my choices in overly extravagant knitting than the eloquence of thoughts or prayers - it's just another way of enjoying life.

(Forgive me if I've wandered into a weird and rambling territory - I'm more than a little delirious from sleep deprivation and feeling thinky).

 
At April 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vicki,

I feel I need to be more mindful of my words. I'm thankful for all of the thought you put into your response to me.

That Kaffe Fasset yarn is so beautiful, and the photograph is so beautiful, I had to show my husband who was sitting next to me when I found the photo. I must have been out of my mind to think a non-knitter would appreciate such beauty. I should have had a better boundary between how his comments made me feel, and the comment I conveyed to the creator of that beauty.

I apologize. You have always been so nice, and supported my thoughts around choosing the deep v to knit. (You are a deep v, yourself, aren't you? - I just thought of that Ha!) I remembered I came to see your blog in the first place because you told some bulleys in Ravelry to be nice! I remember you 'spoke' very well in that situation, and as I followed the thread, I was happy after I read your posts.

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend you with my comment.

 
At April 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Vicki said...

Oh my goodness Jamie, I didn't take any offense at all! I hope I didn't give you that impression with my response! :-)

I actually thought it was an interesting question, and I liked thinking about it.

I love getting to know you online as well, and I'm so happy whenever you stop by. I can't wait to see your Deep V!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home