Saturday, September 27, 2008

Second Sock... Speed-Up?

There are many knitting myths to which I do not subscribe. The most predominant has got to be the greatly bemoaned "Second Sock Syndrome."

While a cute name and oft-sympathized malady, I find my behavior to be exactly the opposite of that described by the lethargy which sets in upon completion of the first sock, especially the supposed reluctance to cast on and then complete the second sock of the pair.

Instead, the closer I get to finishing the first sock, the more antsy I am to cast on the second. Once I have worked out the amount of pattern repeats for the foot, the stitches on the heel, and the length of the leg, I cannot wait to breeze through the second sock on an autopilot-like level of gleeful enjoyment.

I'm calling it the Second Sock Speed-Up, and I will champion its cause. All the drudgery and monotony of the first sock is removed by being half-finished with the pair. Each stitch toward the second sock is faster and ultimately easier because you've done it before and there are no surprises or confusing bits left, just smooth sailing.

Which is to say... stay tuned. I have something nice to show you.


2 Comments:

At September 28, 2008 at 8:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOTALLY AGREE!! I won't lie, there have been a few socks that just ended up in a wip pile without its mate but for the most part, i feel the second sock gets completed so much quicker than the first!

 
At September 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Julia O'C said...

For some reason, I've been reluctant to try the toe-up method. I'm wondering if learning it will cure me of SSS?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home