Tuesday, March 9, 2010

FO - Eleanor in Blue Socks

Another pair of long-finished socks, these were such a treat during last spring's trip to Italy.



Like broken-in jeans and a cushy sweater, these were instantly comfortable and felt familiar.



Pattern: Eleanor by Gigi Silva/Monkey Toes; available as a free pattern on Ravelry; my project is here
Size: US women's 9
Yarn: Regia Havanna Color 4-ply fingering weight, in color 4182, 75% new wool / 25% nylon; I used 80.4 grams, which was approximately 367.5 yards/ 336 meters
Needles: Clover size 2 (2.75 mm) bamboo DPNs, set of 5
Modifications: worked toe-up, with a short-row heel

Started: February 5, 2009
Finished: March 31, 2009

I've knit a pair of Eleanor socks before, but I was dissatisfied with the eyelets on those (I really should reknit one and finish that pair). For this pair, I followed the pattern and I'm so glad I did.



I felt a weird tenderness toward these socks, partly as a consequence of working them slowly on bamboo DPNs. These were my refuge after long, cold days working outside, and later, my little bit of warmth and relaxation tucked in my bag while doing thesis research in Venice. I knit these while waiting for, and then riding trains, and I vividly remember one frustrating afternoon where I actually wrote in my journal "I just want to sit outside and knit my socks in the sunshine, the hell with thesis research."



This pattern is great - I've really enjoyed it immensely both times I've worked on it, and I'm surprised that it doesn't get boring from something so repetitive. I knit 8 repeats up the legs, and though I had enough yarn, I didn't feel like figuring out calf increases. Still, I imagine they'd look smashing as knee socks.



I knit the majority of the second sock on the plane home, when I was utterly exhausted and couldn't wait to be with my family and sleep in my own bed. My seat-mate, a college-aged guy from the UK, seemed genuinely perplexed by me, but I was completely unconcerned. At one point a woman walking by knocked my working yarn on the ground in front of the flight attendant's drink cart, and it was a bit of a disaster as they rolled it over, pulling my sock and DPNs and all out of my hands and dragging it down the aisle. There is a break in the yarn, and even those little woven in ends elicit a fond smile whenever I see them.



The yarn is sturdy and was very pleasant to knit with. I've always loved Regia and found it to be an excellent yarn at a great price. The subtly blended colors are delightful in person and they sustained my interest throughout knitting. The rich blues and warm, gentle browns and tans remind me of corduroy pants and flannel shirts, of the beach where the ocean and sand meet, and of mud flats at low tide with wind-bent cattails and a brilliant blue sky.



In short, they feel like home.

Previous Entries on this Project:
- Also Blue


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home